We have recently been talking with a number of clients about the importance and effectiveness of email marketing. Quite a few of them have taken their general experiences of receiving SPAM and dismiss email marketing as ineffective.
Of course they are right! If you have built or bought (NEVER A GOOD IDEA!!!!) an email list and constantly send out emails without thinking about what you are sending and who you are sending it to, you are unlikely to see great results.
Email marketing needs to be done carefully and with planning behind it. The good news is that if people do register to receive your emails the chances are they will read them and don’t view them as SPAM.
It is though more than just sending your list of eager recipients various bits of content that you think may interest them. Its about sending the right content, to the right people, at the right time. Sending them content without context is not going to work, as the recipient is unlikely going to show any interest and will eventually unsubscribe.
Here are some quick stats about the current state of email marketing…
- Emails have a longer life span than other digital marketing channels – They stay in a persons inbox until they are deleted.
- 77% of consumers prefer email marketing
- Email marketing (when done right) allows you to create a highly personalised, targeted and contextual message.
- 76% of marketers say they use email as a marketing tool more now than they did 3 years ago.
- Marketing through an email campaign has an average return on investment of 4300% – Higher than any other digital marketing channel
So here are some tips on creating effective email campaigns.
Develop A Contact List
Don’t spam everyone whose email you come across. Have a signup form at your website, and offer an incentive (a discount, free shipping, a gift, a white paper, etc.) for signing up. Make it easy for recipients to choose the kinds of emails they want to receive, and in the emails themselves, always offer an opt-out so you don’t alienate potential buyers.
Consider An Email Marketing Service
Email marketing campaign services include AWeber, ActiveCampaign, Campaign Monitor, Blue Sky Factory, Constant Contact, Emma, and MailChimp. These companies can save you time and money. They offer affordable bulk rates for emails. They also provide user-friendly email templates. These systems usually provide analytics such as open rates and click-through rates, to help you understand how effective an email marketing campaign was and what content worked best.
Target Segmented Groups
Segment your email lists whenever possible. If you’re selling sporting goods, for example, you should know who’s a mountain climber and who plays tennis. Segmented group targeting leads to 15% more web-link clicks links than non-segmented emails. The reason for this is that you are sending people content that they are actually interested in or will find helpful.
Know when your customers are most likely to respond positively. For business-to-business marketing, don’t expect great results for emails that arrive at 9 a.m. on Monday or 4 p.m. on Friday; instead, approach recipients on Wednesday or Thursday morning. For consumers, try evenings or even weekends, when they’re away from work and relaxing as they check email.
After each email campaign, analyse its effectiveness. How many messages were opened? How many links were clicked? A and B testing can help you determine what worked and what didn’t. Then, armed with valuable information, you’re ready to create your next successful email campaign. And based on your new knowledge and experience, it’s bound to be better than ever!
- Aragon, K. (n.d.).How to design a seductive email marketing campaign like HP. Kiss Metrics.
- Did you know 144.8 billion emails are sent every day? (2012, November 27). Mashable.
- Grasshopper Team. (2013, November 18). How to create an email campaign in 10 minutes (step by step guide). Grasshopper.
- Hall, S. (2010, July 26). Launch an e-mail marketing campaign in 7 steps. Entrepreneur.
- Handley, N. (2012, October 1). How to create an e-mail marketing campaign that people will notice. Entrepreneur.
- Hangen, N. (n.d.). A beginner’s guide to successful email marketing. Kiss Metrics.
- Radicati, S. & Hoang, Q. (2011, May). Email statistics report, 2011-2015. Radicati Group.
Share This Post...